有一个大型研究社区研究匿名性的方方面面。想寻找当前全面的论文列表，请参阅自由避风港匿名参考文献Free Haven Anonymity Bibliography。 I2P 得益于大量对 Tor 和洋葱路由的研究。但是，对I2P背后的理论以及网络做出的选择和权衡的研究几乎没有。这为原创研究提供了一个独特的机会。
已知的已发表的有关 I2P 的论文在这里可以找到。
Research Ethics & Testing the Network
- Consider the benefits and risks - is there any doubt that the research provides more value than danger?
- If the research can be done on a test network then that is the preferred method
- If you must operate on the live network, the safest route is only collecting data about yourself
- If you need 'bigger data', It is recommended to first see if you can use data sets from previous experiments or other third party resources is recommended
- If you must collect data on the live network, ensure it is safe for publication and collect as little as possible
- After testing and before publish, review that all data which is to be published publicly is not intended to be private by the originator
Using a Test Network to Attack I2P
I2P can be run as a separate test network by controlling the locations that a new router reseeds from so that it only finds other test routers. The standard mode of operation is to have one JVM per router instance; hence running multiple copies of I2P on a single machine is inadvisable, both due to the potential resource drain and the certain port conflicts. To better facilitate setting up small test networks, I2P has a multirouter mode which enables multiple distinct routers to be run in the same JVM. MultiRouter can be started from the i2p base directory by running the below command.
env CLASSPATH=$(find lib/ -name *.jar | paste -s -d ':') java net.i2p.router.MultiRouter 25
Additionally, I2P can be started in a virtual network mode. This mode disables
all transports, allowing the router to be tested in isolation without network
traffic. To enable this mode, add
i2p.vmCommSystem=true to the
router.config before starting.
Testing on the Live I2P Network
As stated above in the researcher notes, please contact us before you commence your testing. While we do not discourage researchers from responsibly testing their ideas on the live network, if an attack becomes apparent and we don't have any line of communication then we will end up taking countermeasures which could interfere with the test.
As of release 0.9.25, I2P supports a router family configuration. This provides researchers who run multiple routers with the means to publicly identify those routers. In turn, this helps the I2P project understand that these routers are not running an attack on the network. It also will prevent other routers from including multiple routers of the family in a single tunnel, which could lead to deanonymization. Routers that appear to be colluding but do not have a declared family may be assumed to be an attack on the network, and may be blocked. The best way to ensure the success of your research project is to work with us directly.
A router family shares a private key so that participation in the family cannot be spoofed. To configure a router family, click on the 'I2P Internals' link in the router console, and then on the 'Family' tab. Follow the instructions there to generate the private key for the first router in the family. Then, export the key from that router, and import it to other members of the family.